The concept of hot spring is quite popular in the west and travel enthusiasts are very much fond of the idea of hot baths but in India sadly the concept is yet to become a household topic probably because many of us are not aware of the fact that India boasts some of the finest hot springs in the world. For those who are new to the concept, hot springs are actually produced by the appearance of geothermally heated groundwater that rises from the earth’s crust. These then takes the form of geysers, pool and fumaroles. These natural geysers contain dissolved chemicals and minerals which are found to be very beneficial to the body as the water is capable of treating many ailments. Here is some of the best hot springs in India known for their therapeutic properties-
- Kheerganga Hot Springs, Himachal Pradesh: located in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh, Kheer Ganga is amidst the natural surroundings of forests and breathtaking scenery of the hills. Tourists from different parts of the world flock here to enjoy the soothing bath.
- Chumathang, Jammu & Kashmir: located in one of the most scenic locations, Chumathang is a very pleasant destination for those seeking a pleasant warm bath experience. Located in Ladakh in Jammu & Kashmir, this hot spring is quite because it will give you an unique experience where you’d feel warm still being surrounded by snow clad mountains.
- Gauri Kund, Uttarakhand: one of the popular Hindu pilgrimage sites, the Gauri Kund is situated at a height of 6,000 feet. Also serving as the base camp from where people pilgrims travels to Kedarnath, this place houses several hot springs and here is where the pilgrims take their bath before moving ahead in Kedarnath.
- Yumthang Hot Spring, Sikkim: located near the Yumthang village some 135 km from the capital Gangtok, the Yumthang Hot Spring is a few minutes away from the main road. Some of the most loved hot springs of the region are- Ra Long, Borong and Phurchachu.
- Aravali, Maharashtra: located in the Aravali village of Ratnagiri District in Maharashtra, the Aravali hot spring is popular due to its therapeutic properties and is again a popular spot among the tourists.
- Jakrem, Shillong: located in the northeast of India, Jakrem is a beautiful hot spring in Shillong the capital of Meghalaya. Due to the blessed medicinal power of the hot spring in Jakrem, the place is now turned into much more loved health spa and for more comfort the place is being separated in to different bathing compartments. It’s a popular tourist spot.
- Panamik, Jammu & Kashmir: resting in the Nubra Valley of Ladakh in Jammu & Kashmir, the Panamik Hot Spring is some 150 km away from Leh. The spot is popular because of its Sulphur springs. The place is equipped with pools made separately for males and females. There are also cabins with showers and change rooms making the hot water spring experience a real delight.
Apart from packed with medicinal benefits, these hot springs are located in some of the best destinations of India. The next time you visit any of them do not forget to indulge in to these relaxing natural warm baths.